Family Law Attorneys in Houston
Providing Clients with Caring & Capable Representation
Since 2006, Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C. has been dedicated to helping our clients resolve a wide variety of family law problems. From adoption matters to child custody issues to paternity problems and more, we can handle it all. Backed by nearly 35 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys are deeply familiar with Texas family law, and we know what it takes to succeed.
As your representative, we will relentlessly fight for the results you need and deserve. Whether you are trying to establish your rights as a father, enforce or modify a court order, obtain or contest child support payments, or do anything similar, we can help. Our team can proficiently guide you through each stage of the legal process as we defend your rights and best interests.
Uniquely Qualified to Handle Your Case
Attorney Cynthia Tracy has successfully helped thousands of clients with their family law needs over the years, and she can help you, as well. As a Board-Certified Family Law Specialist by Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Cynthia is an expert in this practice area. Also, she spent 10 years as a managing attorney at the Texas Attorney General’s Office, where she was recognized as a subject matter expert in the areas of the child support review process and medical support. No matter how difficult your situation is, we have the experience and skills needed to help you find an effective solution.
Our attorneys are deeply familiar with the following, and more:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Fathers’ rights
- Marriage in Texas
- Domestic violence
- Grandparents’ rights
- Stepparent adoption
- Enforcement of court orders
- Overview of Texas family law
- Office of the Attorney General cases
- Domestic partners/unmarried parents
- Interstate child custody and support issues
Overview of Texas Family Law
Family law is the term applied to the laws and rules developed regarding family relationships. Family law rules define not only the relationships between members of a family but also between a family and society as a whole. More than any other area of the law, family law reflects the values society shares regarding how people who are related should treat each other.
Family law matters pertain to:
- Birth records
- Husband and wife
- Parents and children
- Divorce and marriage annulment
- Child welfare, custody, support and reciprocal support, dependency, neglect, and delinquency
The Role of Family Law Attorneys
Typically, family law attorneys assist people in making and breaking legal family relationships. Depending on the circumstances of the case and the desires of the parties, a family law attorney may use mediation, arbitration, litigation, or collaborative law procedures to help her or his clients to resolve their family law matters.
Specific areas of representation include:
- Marriage and relationship planning. Texas favors marriage over co-habitation of unmarried couples and recognizes ceremonial and common law marriages.
- Dissolution of marriage. In Texas, a suit for dissolution of marriage is a suit for divorce, a suit for annulment, or a suit to declare a marriage void.
- Paternity. A paternity suit to establish a parent-child relationship may be necessary before a court may render an order relating to matters such as child custody/visitation or child support.
- Child custody. Whether physical custody of a child should be awarded to one parent or divided between the parents (joint managing conservatorship), and the division under a joint custody arrangement is primarily governed by statute. However, Texas courts have discretion to order child custody arrangements in the best interests of the child.
- Child support. In Texas, a minor has a statutory right to parental support. Matters involving child support, including medical support, are primarily governed by statute.
- Family violence. To stop or prevent family (domestic) violence or dating violence, a person in Texas may file an application for a protective order with the court. In general, a request for a protective order will be granted if the court finds that family violence has occurred and is likely to occur in the future.
- Adoption. Adoption creates the legal relationship of parent and child between persons who are not so related. In Texas, adoption generally creates all rights and obligations that exist between natural parent and child.
Family relations create a host of legal consequences. Whether you are contemplating marriage or divorce, considering adoption, or seeking relief from family violence, contact a Houston family law attorney at Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C. for help in resolving your family law matter.
Texas District Courts
In Texas, the district courts are trial courts of general jurisdiction. Each county is served by at least one district court. In sparsely populated areas, a single district court may serve multiple counties, while a densely populated county may be served by multiple district courts. Most district courts handle criminal and civil cases, but courts located in densely populated areas may specialize in civil, criminal, juvenile, or family law matters. In counties served by a family district court, the family district court has primary responsibility for family law matters. (See Texas Government Code § 24.601.)
Call (281) 612-5443 Today
Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C. is a boutique law firm, and we give each of our clients 100 percent of our attention and effort. You are not an exception. When you hire our attorneys, you can trust that we will stay in constant communication with you throughout your case. We always respond within 24 to 48 hours, so you can count on us to be there for you when you need us most. Our Houston family law attorneys stand ready to help you.
Call now at (281) 612-5443 to schedule your initial consultation.
She is...The J.J. Watt of Attorneys.- Ulises
Absolutely the best.- Susan Perrin
This woman has a keen eye to the details I would have never paid attention to.- Angela Truitt
Cynthia is extremely professional and someone you want in your corner when you are dealing with complex legal matters.- Valerie Seybold
The Law group has done an excellent job on my case and stayed in touch with me threw out the process.- Scott Winterberg