Child Support Attorney in Houston
Dedicated Child Support Lawyers Fighting for You & Your Child In Harris County, TX
Legal issues involving child support can make divorce litigation even more stressful and intense. Both parents must face new concerns regarding support obligations and provide for the best interests of their children.
At the Houston family law firm of Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C., lead attorney and founder Cynthia Tracy knows firsthand how child support issues can impact legal proceedings because she has been through her own child support court battle. In her three decades of work in family law, our experienced Houston child support lawyer helped thousands of clients reach settlements with the best interests of each child in mind.
What Are the Texas Child Support Guidelines?
In Texas, a minor has a statutory right to parental support. Child support is informed by the Texas family code support guidelines and is calculated based on a percentage of the paying parent’s net monthly income. However, because courts are granted discretion in establishing and enforcing child support obligations, practices may vary by court, by the judge, or by the circumstances of each case.
Your support order could vary from guidelines for several reasons, including:
- Special or extraordinary educational, healthcare, or other expenses of the parties or of the child
- Other factors related to the obligor’s ability to pay—alimony payments, travel costs to maintain the relationship with the child, and more
- Educational expenses past age 18 if the child is enrolled in a qualified educational institution or program, and meeting certain requirements
Support order guidelines in Texas also address custody and visitation. A unique custody arrangement could mean a unique support arrangement, as well. Our experienced Houston child support lawyer can help.
How is Child Support Determined in Texas?
When determining how much your child support orders will be, the state takes into consideration several factors:
- The noncustodial parent’s gross and net monthly income
- How many children require support
- Whether or not the noncustodial parent is providing health insurance (medical and dental) for the children
- How many children outside of the child support action the noncustodial parent is legally responsible for supporting
If you want to get a rough estimate of what your child support payments may be, you can use this monthly child support calculator tool provided by the Attorney General of Texas. If you are concerned that you may be paying too much in child support, or if you are concerned that you are not being sufficiently compensated as the custodial parent, you can request to have your child support orders modified.
When Does Child Support End in Texas?
According to Texas child support laws, you will be required to continue paying child support until the last child turns 18 or graduates from high school; whichever happens later. There are some circumstances in which you may be required to continue paying child support even after these events occur:
- If you owe arrearages (overdue child support)
- If your child is disabled and will continue to require care even after turning 18
In these special circumstances, hiring a professional Houston child support lawyer can help you ensure that all of your options are taken into consideration, and that your child's needs are met.
How Can A Child Support Attorney In Houston Help You And Your Family?
Your child support attorney will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure that you are equipped with relevant legal information to help protect your and your children's rights.
- Provide you with clarity regarding any questions that you or your children may have regarding child support and what your child is entitled to.
- Assist you with estimating, setting up, and/or modifying child support.
- Represent you in court, if your case gets taken to court.
- Collect valuable evidence to support your case.
- Guide you through every step of the legal procedure and help you avoid making any potentially costly mistakes.
Do you need help estimating, setting up, or modifying child support? Our child support attorneys in Houston have years of experience in working with clients for a variety of family matters and will go above and beyond to ensure that your and your children's rights and what they are entitled to are protected. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our child support lawyers.
Our Houston Child Support Lawyer Can Help
A generic judgment may not be what’s best for you and your children. That’s why you need a strong advocate—one like Cynthia, who was recognized by the Office of the Attorney General as a subject matter expert in the child support review process.
She is...The J.J. Watt of Attorneys.- Ulises
Absolutely the best.- Susan Perrin
This woman has a keen eye to the details I would have never paid attention to.- Angela Truitt
Cynthia is extremely professional and someone you want in your corner when you are dealing with complex legal matters.- Valerie Seybold
The Law group has done an excellent job on my case and stayed in touch with me threw out the process.- Scott Winterberg