Houston Divorce Attorney 
Schedule a Consultation 

What Can I Do If My Ex Stops Paying Alimony?

In a divorce, it is not uncommon for the spouse who earns more income to pay alimony. It is designed to help the spouse who earns less income maintain the standard of living the couple had during the marriage. If your former spouse stopped paying, however, this will undoubtedly create some financial difficulties for you, so it is crucial to address this matter as soon as possible to ensure you receive the funds you are owed.

Enforcing an Alimony Order

Before you take the matter to court, you may want to discuss the missed alimony payments with your former spouse. If your ex has a legitimate reason for missing payments, the judge may temporarily reduce payments, making it more feasible for your former spouse to fulfill this obligation. However, if your ex is simply refusing to make these payments, you will have to return to family court to have the order enforced.

If your former spouse still refuses to pay alimony, it is likely your ex may be subjected to contempt charges, which may result in some jail time. A judge may also seize your ex’s property to pay off the amount owed, which is also known as a writ of execution. For example, you may receive a portion of your ex’s bank account. In some cases, instead of issuing a writ of execution, a judge may withhold a portion of your ex’s income and have it directly sent to you, without you ever having to interact with your former spouse.

As you can see, there are a variety of ways to ensure you receive alimony, but it is crucial to take legal action and hire an attorney as soon as possible.

Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney to Discuss Your Case

If your former spouse is refusing to pay alimony, you need to consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney to discuss your legal options. At Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C., our skilled legal team is backed by more than three decades of experience and a commitment to ensuring our clients receive the best possible results for their case. We understand how frustrating it can be when your spouse fails to make alimony payments and will help you take the proper steps to enforce the order.

Reach out to our law office today at (281) 612-5443 to set up a consultation and discuss the details of your case and learn more about what we can do for you.