Houston Divorce Attorney 
Schedule a Consultation 

Modifying Alimony After a Divorce

A lot about a person’s life can change after divorce and, to ensure the court orders you initially received appropriately address your changing needs, you may have to request a modification. Whether you are the paying party or the supported party, you may have to have the order reduced or increased, depending on your changing financial circumstances.

One way to address this would be to discuss it with your former spouse. If you and your ex agree on a new amount, this will help save a bit of time in court. However, if you cannot, you can still take your request for a modification to court.

Requesting a Modification

Oftentimes, the paying party may have an easier time obtaining a modification in certain situations, such as the loss of a job, a reduction in income, or the development of a serious illness or disability that makes it impossible to work. That said, even under these circumstances, if the paying party has assets to liquidate, a judge may order the same amount to be paid.

The supported party may also request a modification to alimony payments under similar circumstances. However, if that spouse remarries or lives with a new romantic partner, these payments will cease. Regardless if you are the paying party or the receiving party, you should not hesitate to consult with an experienced family law attorney. Typically, a judge will only grant your request if you can demonstrate a notable change in your financial circumstances and a skilled attorney can help you build a case to prove this change.

Set Up an Initial Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

Life constantly changes, especially in the aftermath of a divorce. If some of these changes were involuntary and impacted your financial situation, you may need to modify your alimony payments. At Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C., our family law attorney has more than three decades of experience in advising clients as they navigate some of the most challenging legal matters they may face. You can rely on our knowledge, skill, and insight to help you obtain the best results for your case.

To speak with a board-certified attorney today, reach out to our law office at (281) 612-5443 to set up a case evaluation and learn more about your legal options and how we can help you.