Houston Divorce Attorney 
Schedule a Consultation 

What Happens if My Spouse Refuses to Sign the Divorce Papers?

Every divorce presents its own unique problems and, in some cases, a spouse may refuse to cooperate and sign the divorce papers. If this is happening to you, you may be feeling frustrated and wondering how to move the process along, so you can move forward with your life. Continue reading to find out what you can do if your spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers.

You Can Still Get Divorced

If one spouse wishes to end the marriage, nothing can prevent it. In Texas, if your spouse refuses to respond to the divorce petition, your spouse will default. If your spouse defaults, you can file an affidavit with the court to prove that you served your spouse and they refused to respond. The judge on your case can then make decisions regarding the terms of your divorce, including alimony and child support.

Spouses who refuse to cooperate are often in denial about the divorce can believe that their refusal to cooperate may prevent it. Thankfully, whether your spouse wants the divorce to happen or not, you can still dissolve your marriage. By refusing to respond to the divorce petition, this will only make matters worse for the non-responsive spouse, since this will only result in losing the chance to argue for a more favorable divorce settlement.

In Texas, you must go through a mandatory 60-day waiting period before your divorce may be finalized. If you are asking for a default judgment because your spouse will not cooperate, the judge will render a decision on the key issues of your divorce after this mandatory waiting period passes.

Schedule a Case Evaluation with Our Knowledgeable Divorce Lawyer to Get Started!

At Cynthia Tracy, Attorney at Law, P.C., our skilled divorce lawyer is backed by more than 30 years of experience. Additionally, Cynthia Tracy is a Board-Certified Family Law Specialist, which means she is an expert in this practice area. With our legal team on your side, you can feel confident you will receive exceptional representation and knowledgeable legal advice. Regardless if your spouse is cooperating, you can feel confident that our attorney will help you dissolve your marriage, so you can start the next chapter in your life.

Call our law firm today at (281) 612-5443 to schedule a confidential consultation with our attorney to get started on your divorce case.